Importing Netscape LDIF address book into OpenLDAP

This seems to me like a FAQ, and for that I apologize in advance,
but I have poured through all the documentation, mailing list
archives, FAQs, and the like and can't seem to resolve it on my
own.

I am trying to set up an OpenLDAP situation where I can import a
Netscape-communicator-generated LDIF address book into the tree
so that various mail clients can perform E-mail address lookups
via an LDAP search.  I suspect there is something that needs to
be tweaked in the schema before that can happen, as the 'ldifadd'
command chokes on the 'mail' field:

# /opt/openldap/bin/ldapadd -f import.ldif -x -D
"cn=Manager,o=mydomain.com" -W
Enter LDAP Password:
adding new entry "o=mydomain.com"
adding new entry "cn=Manager, o=mydomain.com"
adding new entry "cn=username, o=mydomain.com"
ldap_add: Object class violation
        additional info: attribute 'mail' not allowed

ldif_record() = 65

My sample LDIF import file looks like this:

dn: o=mydomain.com
o: mydomain.com
objectclass: organization

dn: cn=Manager,o=mydomain.com
objectClass: organizationalRole
cn: Manager

dn: cn=username, o=mydomain.com
cn: username
sn: Firstname
mail: username@mydomain.com
objectclass: person

The business-end of my slapd.conf file looks like this:

include         /opt/ldap/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
database        ldbm
suffix          "o=mydomain.com"
rootdn          "cn=Manager,o=mydomain.com"

Regards,
-Tom