why does slurpd ignore my replogfile directive?

Hello,
   I am having problems doing replication.
   I am specifing a custom directory for the replication logs,
but when I try to launch slurpd it ignores the custom directory
and (trying to find the default) kills itself when it can't find
a directory to work with.
   I had this problem earlier and solved it by using the
directory it wanted to default to but I can't do that now
(because I'm testing multimaster replication on one box... thus
they'd all want to use the same directory and keep overwriting
each others files).

My slapd.conf has the line:

replogfile /usr/local/var/master1_ldbm/replog1

And when I debug I see that it is being read (but oddly also not
used).  Slurpd says (in the end):

/usr/local/var/openldap-slurp/replica: No such file or directory

Out of desperation I have even tried passing slurpd an argument
for the replication file (the following is one line of text that
may be broken up):

/usr/local/libexec/slurpd -f
/usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd_mm1.conf -r
/usr/local/var/master1_ldbm/replog1/slurpd.replog
&>slurpdMaster1Out &

I get the same results (it is ignoring the -r directive).
What should I do?