Re: openldap-2.0.11

Hello,

I thought I might just offer my two cents in --- since I know the feeling of just getting started with LDAP and it can be overwhelming.. ^_^

Based on what you're asking, it looks like you're ready to build the LDAP tree. Remember that LDAP is an upside down tree (similar to a B-Tree) with the root node being your organization's suffix. So if you'e company is CopperNet Solutions you may consider your suffix to be o=CopperNet Solutions and from there build your sub-branches and nodes so it might look like the following (I'm not sure if this will show up correctly on your e-mail but you may consider copying the tree below and pasting it in MS Word and then changing the font to Courier New to make it fixed width)

                O o=CopperNet Solutions
                /\
                 O   O
                  /\     /\
and so on

the second level (or sub-branches as I call them) will be more specific to your organization. For example you have an IT and Marketing department then the first circle will be ou=IT and the other is ou=Marketing and so on and so forth until you build something like

uid=lufomat@coppernet.zm,ou=IT,o=CopperNet Solutions

So to build this in LDAP, you create an LDIF file like the following:

# This creates the root
dn: o=CopperNet Solutions
objectclass: top
objectclass: organization