Re: RFC [Samba/NIS + LDAP]

> I am an OpenLDAP newbie, and have been doing some cursory examination
> of  what might be possible with unifying authentication for my Linux
> and  Windows boxes.  I understand Samba can use NIS as a basis of
> authentication, and than the nss_ldap modules allows NIS lookups to be
> done against a LDAP directory.  I currently have no windows servers
> (only a workgroup that I inherented), and am considering using the
> Samba  2.2.x codebase to implement a PDC/Domain with a LDAP backend
> that  understands NIS (via the nis schema, from what I gather).  Has
> anyone  done anything like this?  Any pitfalls?  Howtos?  URLs? :-)

Careful: NIS authentication and nss_ldap are not related.  'nss' stands for
'name service switch,' and is related to system calls like getpwnam().  LDAP
can be used as a *replacement* for NIS authentication, but the two aren't
really related beyond that.

And with that said, ignoring all NIS stuff, yes, you should be able to setup
Samba/TNG (I don't think the main branch supports ldap yet) with openldap to
do authentication, and nss_ldap or pam_ldap (see padl.com - they're not
supported here) for system-level authentication and file ownership.

John

--
John Madden
UNIX Systems Engineer