re-indexing ldapdb database and missing sub-branch

Hello,

Recently I've been posting updates to a development LDAP server and just copying the databases (all the *.dbb files--copying by rcp) to the production and then running slapindex -f /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf once the *.dbb files are in production

For some reason, when I try to search my production LDAP servers from a browser certain sections of the LDAP tree, I get a "not found" error. I have no access rules for this branch so there should be no reason why it should not display the results. If I try to search via command line (ldapsearch), I get

#
# filter: uid=test
# requesting: ALL

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 1

This seems to be misleading. Is the entry in LDAP or not? How often do I need to re-index the LDAP db? The machines are all running the same version of LDAP (Openldap 2.0.11) and are mirrors of one another but I'm at a lost.

Thanks for the help.

jm