Re: [Re: Admin tools for ldap]

Apart from matthew's facetous answer, there are no Admin tools available for
OpenLDAP per se. This is a BIG problem for management types who like to see
pretty pictures :( I tried to explain that the guts... important bits of the
server, is all invisible. The gui on top of it (ie: netscape's console) is
really irrelevant. They are, however, hearing none of this (being management
types).

You can however, cobble some regular tools together to make a nice toolset. I
am currently working on a schema editor for openldap, but other than that,
there's the LDAP browser/editor. It's a java application that lets you browse
through an ldap directory.

There's also another product out there called Metamerge (which will offer the
``on the fly'' replication that you are requesting.) Basically, replication is
done at constant intervals by having the servers all talk to eachother on the
back end -slurpd part of OpenLDAP-, but if you need something to import data
from various data sources, (oracle, other ldap db's, CSV, and anything else
under the sun) then this is a very good product. It's free for universities.

Matthew Palmer <mjp16@ieee.uow.edu.au> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Lye wrote:
>
> > I am wondering if there is any admin tools for ldap that can allows u to:
> > 1. Set up the slapd.conf
>
> 'joe' has always worked for me.  Alternately, you can use any of vi, emacs,
> jove, je, pico, vim, elvis, nedit, kedit, kwrite, or any other text editor
> which you are comfortable with.
>
> > 2. "See" other Directory Servers in the network so that you can issues
> > commands to replicate the data over
>
> That's a lot more difficult, because there's no guarantee that simply
> because you can see a DS you can write to it to perform the replication.
> And there certainly won't be a tool available to tell you the DN and cred
> write to the DS.
>
> Furthermore, replication is typically automatic and configured for the
> server - I can't really think of a situation where on-demand replication
> would necessarily be better than constant replication.
>

> --
> #include <disclaimer.h>
> Matthew Palmer
> mjp16@ieee.uow.edu.au

Best Regards,
E.M. Recio

<< http://polywog.navpoint.com >>

Inherent in every intention and desire is the mechanics for
its fulfillment... intention and desire in the field of pure
potentiality have infinite organizing power. And when we
introduce an intention in the fertile ground of pure
potentiality, we put this infinite organizing power to work
for us.

Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.amexmail.com/?A=1