Re: solaris-8 and openldap-2.0.11

Title: RE: solaris-8 and openldap-2.0.11

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 3:50 PM
Subject: RE: solaris-8 and openldap-2.0.11

note that when you build shared libs on solaris at least that you create a library with not all of its symbols resolved...  if you do a ldd libldap.so and see file not found, then you would have your problem found.
hmm unfortunately it is not a "file not found" errort message which can be solved with the LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable.
It is a making me mad "symbol not found" / "relocation error" problem.

aix will by default attempt to resolve every symbol before it can create an executable/shared object, but can be changed with some switches.

that is indeed a nice feature. I tried to use the ld -z defs switch which should normally force a fatal error if any undefined symbols remain but I haven't obtained any positive result with that switch.
your php error...  do ldd libphp.so, and look for file not found.  do not use -r.
it can't find the ldap_get_lderrno function which is defined in netscape's ldap.h But not in openldap's. So I really wonder why it wants this function !??

if you do the same on liblber.so, you may see __eprintf is missing (depending on -lgcc was included in your linked libs)
when using the ldap libs, you should have to use -lldap -llber for any program that needs ldap libs then you shouldnt have any problems (i hope)

I had that __eprintf error message but I've searched and found that :http://www.sun.com/software/star/gnome/faq/gnome14techfaq.html#55
this solved a liitle piece of my pain & problem.

i place my libs in /usr/local/lib and pass to gcc/ld -R, which tells the linker to search in the colon separated path for libraries.  i had to use GNU binutils to get openssl0.9.6b to build correctly, but removed it for all other apps.

does apache or php crash on calls to ldap functions?
I don't know. Have to try it...but it seems to be more stable on an Linux OS...

we also have apache1.3.20+php4.0.6+mod_ssl+mod_perl+auth_ldap and its all working...
you configure options for php included the path to your openldap install base dir?

what kind of a lucky man you are !!

thanks

Jan