NULL base suffix

Hi All,

Does anyone use OpenLDAP as a root directory server with an "ldbm"
backend. I'm attempting to do this so that customer accounts used for
web hosting and e-mail addresses with various domain components can be
provisioned without needing to reconfigure slapd when new domain
components appear.

In other words, I'd like to be able to setup slapd.conf with a null base
suffix.

suffix ""

For some reason, I have seen many messages where someone says you don't
want to do this, but many commercial products I work with do. InterMail
KX, for example, uses the Sleepy Cat Berkeley DB (ldbm) in this fashion
as do I, but a null suffix does not appear to work for me. Netscape
allows it as well.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Kevin Serikstad