anyone else with 4dc's having problems

sendmail and name server configuration seems to be simply a charme as opposed
to openldap -
it's really bitter after spending hours and hours of reading and testing to
see nothing works.
Meanwhile I guess there is a bug regarding the 4 dc's (?)

Before I go back to a working Netscape Directory Server,
maybe there is somebody here who can give me a last clue what went wrong and
maybe it's of some interest for others who faced the same problems.
What I've done so far:

1. Reading README, Howto, RedHat Documentation (Suse nothing available - the
two systems where I've been testing), tutorials on the web
2. installing the RPM packages
3. modifying /etc/ldap.conf and /etc/openldap/slapd.conf
with minor changes (see my former posting)
start the server - ok; stop the server - ok
4. studying RH's migration scripts and use one;
wondering about the slapd.at.conf and slapd.oc.conf mentioned in some
tutorials what I've not
found, but decided this is
includeded within the schemes; wondering also about ldif2ldbm what apparently
has been replaced by ldapadd
5. tried to use ldapadd without success - see former postings;
tried to use some tutorial's example configuration,
especially http://yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialLDAP.html
with a quick start example (stooges) for RH7.1
did not work! the server started but nothing more...
6. I've tried and tested some other configurations with RH7.1 and Suse7.2
without success

There is a point now to say Goodbye - you'll get there if you're in mood to
study the C-sources and use the debugger to find something out since error
messages of openldap are very poor
__
i.t