LDAP and PAM bind authentication

I am running an openldap server that does not allow anonymous bind.
I have a linux box that is using PAM to do authentication by
sending reuests for authentication to this ldap server.
The way it is working is, I bind as a generic user and password, then
pam sends the search request for the user trying to authenticate,
verifies password and allows the login.
How can I make PAM work with LDAP to bind to the server as the person
trying to authenticate?
If the authnticate failes because the user put in the wrong password,
fine, I need to get rid of this generic id and it is crazy to bind
as one id then ask for auth for another when it seems it could be
done in one step.

-Tony