Re: Openldap and Solaris 8

What didn't work from the HOWTO?

There are a couple of problems using the PADL nss_ldap module on 64bit
Solaris.  First, if you can't make a 64bit library from the PADL software,
only 32bit programs will function as they should with some exceptions.
If you use the ldap_cachemgr software, your ldap requests will not
directly map the nss_ldap library.  This can also be accomplished to some
extent with nscd.  If nscd or ldap_cachemgr is running, you're probably
pretty safe.  The biggest problem that I had with the PADL version was
with failover capabilities.  The Sun nss_ldap module deals with down LDAP
servers quite a bit better than PADL (keep in mind that i did this testing
quite some time ago).

What it comes down to is that any 64bit program trying to directly link
the PADL 32bit library will fail.  Sun provides both 64 and 32 bit
versions of their libs.

Anyway... let me know what you're stuck on and i'll see if i can help.

Oh... and to the person suggesting linux over solaris... linux is still
not quite ready for the enterprise environment.  Of course, it really
depends on what you're doing.  If you're looking for some reasons not to
use Linux:  NFS support is still crappy, thread support is still shoddy
(which is really bad in conjunction with a thread intensive program such
as openldap), and the IP stack could use some more work to allow for high
connection small request servers (such as an ldap server).

I have tested openldap 2.0.11 on solaris8 and it does seem to work fine.
I haven't thrown it through the rigorous testing that I put 2.0.8 through,
but at first glance, it seems to work.

eric