[Date Prev][Date Next] [Chronological] [Thread] [Top]

Re: ldapdelete failed. *ldbm_back_delete: parent does not exist*

lisoleg fan wrote:
> Sir,
> I've been banging my head against OpenLDAP for two days, Now I can add entry
> to it, but I can't delete the entry I just added, and I can't add the child
> entry to it. I need your help.
> I instlled the OpenLDAP from my Redhat7.1 CD, and followed the Atif
> Ghaffar's article
> http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/July2000/article159.shtml to setup it, but
> failed, I always got the sasl error. After many times test, I changed the
> slapd.conf like this
> #### slapd.conf begin
> include         /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
> include         /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
> include         /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
> include         /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
> include         /etc/openldap/schema/redhat/rfc822-MailMember.schema
> include         /etc/openldap/schema/redhat/autofs.schema
> include         /etc/openldap/schema/redhat/kerberosobject.schema
> database        ldbm
> suffix          ""
> #### slapd.conf end
> and used saslpasswd to add the userid 'root' to the sasldb, so I can add the
> entry like this
> ldapadd -Uroot -wtest < linuxfocus.org.ldif
> ### linuxfocus.org.ldif begin
> dn: o=linuxfocus.org
> o: linuxfocus.org
> objectclass: top
> objectclass: organization
> ### linuxfocus.org.ldif end
> But when I want to delete the entry by "ldapdelete -Uroot -wtest
> 'o=linuxfocus.org'", I always get error "Additional info: could not locate
> parent of entry", and the slapd's debug output :

You hit a little inconsistency in handling 
entries rooted at "" that affect OpenLDAP
up to 2.0.11 (I think) and that will be fixed
in the next release. Note that this happened 
because you're strongly discouraged from using
this approach; you'd rather use a well-defined
naming context, say "dc=linuxfocus, dc=org".
If you need the empty "" suffix only to avoid
typing the suffix when doing searches, you'd 
rather use 

defaultSearchBase "<your naming context>"

before any backend specification or

suffixAlias	"" "<your naming context>"
suffix		"<your naming context>"
suffix		""

inside the default backend specification.

Anyway, I think your problem is fixed 
in REL_ENG_2; please try it out and report
in case of problems.


Dr. Pierangelo Masarati    mailto:ando@sys-net.it
Developer, SysNet s.n.c.   http://www.sys-net.it