Re: back up for ldap ...

hi,
      Here we are talking about a live set up where ldap is being used to
authenticate users. Now our problem is that in a live set up we cannot afford to
stop  slapd to take any back up.

There will be at any point of time users who are signing up for the first time
and also users who need to be authenticated by the ldap server ...

Hence the need for us is to take a back up on a day to day basis ...

So any suggestions for the same ??

Thanks and regards
Sovan

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          Matthew      |
|        |          Palmer       |
|        |          <mjp16@ieee.u|
|        |          ow.edu.au>   |
|        |                       |
|        |          10/08/01     |
|        |          12:11        |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     Sovan Shatpathy/Satyam@Satyam            |
  |       cc:     openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org           |
  |       Subject:     Re: back up for ldap ...            |

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001 Sovan_Shatpathy@satyam-infoway.com wrote:

>         Can anyone tell me as to if  there  is any standard procedure which
> needs to be adopted for taking back up of ldap?
> The context being , if in case there is any problem in the exsisting ldap set
up
> and there is a need to rebuild from the scratch.

Stop slapd, then:

slapcat > /tmp/ldap.ldif
tar cf /tmp/ldap_backup.tar /etc/ldap /tmp/ldap.ldif

Which will give you a full LDIF of your database in /tmp, then create a tar
file with that ldif and your LDAP server config.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer
mjp16@ieee.uow.edu.au