memory leak in 1.2.11

I am running a linux debian system with kernel 2.2.14. Last time my system
went to the knees, it wasn't a real crash but the whole memory was exhausted
and a reboot was the only help. There wasn't any hint in the logs what's
happened only on the console a kernel error message said that processes
couldn't get launched because of lack of memory.

In the following days I watched the memory consumption of the processes
and saw that the virtual memory size of the slapd processes grew day by day.
Starting with approx. 4 kbytes slapd consumed 100 MB after 30 days.

Did anybody made similar experiences? I compiled openldap myself. It's not
a debian package. At the moment I am running a cronjob in intervals of some
days to restart slapd. That's not a real solution but currently there are some
things I have to check before upgrading to 2.x.

 Werner