OpenLDAP 2.0.x + pam_ldap + cyrus-imapd-2.0.x

I and quite a few other users of the cyrus-imapd system have found a problem which occurs exclusively when we authenticate using the PAM module pam_ldap linked against the OpenLDAP 2.0.x libraries. I am writing to ask whether this bug and any potential solutions are known to the wider OpenLDAP and pam_ldap communities.

The basic problem is that, with the authentication scheme mentioned, imapd segfaults when pam_ldap returns success. Like anyone presented with this problem, I initially presumed the problem lay with cyrus-imapd (or with the cyrus-sasl library it uses). More careful investigation tends to case suspicion elsewhere:

1) The problem does not occur with any other PAM module, or with a patch which allows SASL to authenticate via LDAP directly. That would tend to cast suspicion on pam_ldap, but...

2) pam_ldap works fine with dozens of other applications. That would tend to cast suspicion on cyrus-imapd or the cyrus-sasl library. Hmm, we seem to be going in circles here.

3) By commenting out sections of pam_ldap, printing debug messages, etc, I found that the problem occurs only when the _do_authenticate subroutine in pam_ldap.c is executed. There is no PAM code in that subroutine, only calls to OpenLDAP routines! This is very wierd: the PAM exchange between cyrus-imapd and pam_ldap runs without a hitch; the LDAP exchange between pam_ldap and my OpenLDAP server also runs without a hitch. Yet the latter (not the former!) exchange seems to have the side-effect of killing the cyrus-imapd server.

4) The above behaviour occurs even when the OpenLDAP server is on a different machine, so it can't be the server that is causing the side-effect. The side effect must be the fault of the client LDAP libraries. Or of cyrus-imapd/sasl for being susceptible to the side-effect.

5) This conclusion is strengthened by the observation (due to Phillip Sacha) that when pam_ldap is linked against OpenLDAP 1.x or Netscape-LDAP libraries, the problem goes away... even when authenticating against an OpenLDAP 2.0.x server. This would seem to lay guilt on OpenLDAP libraries rather then cyrus-imapd/sasl.

Finally, two more incidental observations:

a) Entering a wrong password does not kill imapd. Furthermore, if I first enter a wrong password, then a right password, I can log in without killing imapd. pam_ldap seems to cache some info during a session, and it's not having to look up that info a second time prevents the side-effect. This may provide a clue as to which OpenLDAP APIs are at fault.

b) Several people (eg Norbert Sendetzky) have reported that the precompiled pam_ldap binary distributed by RedHat does work. Use of ldd reveals that it is linked against the OpenLDAP 1.2.x client libraries.

Can any usrers and/or devs provide more detailed observations which would allow us to identify the guily party and file a clear bug?