ldapsearch in OL 2

I've recently migrated from 1.2.12 to 2.0.11, and have suddenly found that
certain LDAP search filters now refuse to function.  I'm assuming that I
don't have the right indexes or EQUALITY matches, but I have no idea what I
should be adding.

The search I'm trying to perform is as follows:

ldapsearch -x '(memberuntil<=200108)'

the memberuntil attribute is defined in my schema as follows:

attributeType ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.8464.1.6 NAME 'memberUntil'
        EQUALITY numericStringMatch
        SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.36 )

I tried to add an ORDERING numericStringOrderingMatch but slapd didn't like
it - complained there was no such type.  ORDERING numericStringMatch was
worse - slapd didn't complain, but crashed quietly as soon as I performed a
<= search.

The memberuntil attribute is not indexed at all, but I believe it shouldn't
matter - the query will just take longer.  Is that correct?

So, I'm at a loss.  I'd really appreciate someone with more experience in
this to provide me with an answer - how do I make my <= searches work as
expected?

Thanks in advance,

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer