Re: Confused on best secuirty method...

If you are using SIMPLE bind the password is transferred
in the clear.  As SIMPLE bind is subject to passive and active
acts, it should only be used when confidentiality protection
is provided by other means (TLS,SSL,IPSEC).

The hashing of SIMPLE bind passwords only makes the stored
value not readily reusable.  However, if exposed, the attacker
can perform an off-line dictionary attack to discover your
password.

SASL/DIGEST-MD5 is a fairly strong authentication mechanism.
It protects against passive attacks but is prone to active
attacks.

If you want to protect against active (including hijack)
attacks, you need to use something like SASL/SRP with
integrity protection.

For more details on LDAP Security Considerations, especially
those specific to authentication, see RFC 2829.

Kurt