Re: userPassword doing it's own thing.

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 04:09:41PM -0700, Eric Paynter wrote:
> I can't seem to get the userPassword to do what I expect. My understanding is
> that you put your password (with whatever encryption you prefer) into an ldif
> and load it in. But something happens when I do that. For example, when I try
> a plain text password:
>
>      userPassword: testpass
>
> Then do an ldapadd and an ldaplookup, the password is that is returned is:
>
>      userPassword:: dGVzdHBhc3M=

[etc., same result with crypted password]

OpenLDAP defaults to encode the passwd in base64[*].  I'm not sure if
that's overrideable, but rest assured that when you actually authenticate
against that field, it will DTRT.

--JB

[*] Or something.  I think it's base64.  Oh, hell, let's check.
bash-2.04$ python
Python 2.0 (#1, Nov  3 2000, 12:11:00)
[GCC egcs-2.91.66 19990314 (egcs-1.1.2 release)] on netbsd1
>>> import base64
>>> base64.decodestring('dGVzdHBhc3M=')
'testpass'

Yup.