Re: How to administrate a high volume Openldap

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Michael Ströder wrote:
> Daniel Cheah wrote:
> >
> > 1.) My question is how do I administrate a 200,000 records . I can not display
> > all the records using the Browser/Editor 2.8.2 (since it is a large
> > database)
>
> Why do you have to browse all the entries?
>
> The LDAP client used for administration should support
> 1. searching one node and adding an entry below this node and

Maybe he has to contend with a design like one of which I'm aware.  The
users simply don't subdivide usefully, so the directory architects threw
up their hands and plumped all 100,000 user objects into a single OU.
The graphical tools that came with the directory service thus take an
enormously long time to reach the point at which they give up due to
default limits on the number of objects to be fetched at once. The
treelist style just doesn't work well with large flat namespaces.

Yes, in such cases a completely different user interface design is called
for, and it probably will have to be done in-house since it seems that no
vendors are thinking of such corner cases.  Filling a form with whatever
is known about the desired entry *before* any searching is done, should
cut the number of browsable objects down to a useful order of magnitude,
while retaining a graphical style of interaction if that's what is wanted.
It could probably be prototyped with e.g. a Tk front-end driving
ldapsearch.

Make a good day.