Re: why is adding records slow?

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 12:04:58PM -0700, Ricky Charlet wrote:

> 	OK, I know that LDAPs design goal was to optimize reading/browsing
> records, not adding/modifying records. But can someone tell me the
> fundamental reasons that adding records do take such a long time?

You just said. LDAP was designed for many reads and few writes.

> 	Even though I knew that record adding was not optimized, I am really
> very supprised at how slow it is.

It is not only a matter of optimalization but rather a design principle.

> I ran a simple test of adding 10,000
> person records to a database. After 30 minutes it was about 1/4
> finished. According to my measurements it was adding records at about
> 1.3/second. That is plainly unworkable at my intended scale.

> The command line I used was `ldapadd -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=ricky,dc=com"
> -f tenK.ldif -w *******`

If you want to add such many records then shut down slurpd and use slapadd.
The LDAP protocol was _not_ designed for that amount of writes. If you
need so much modifications all the time you should leave LDAP alone and
use some relational database.

Gabor Gombas                                       Eotvos Lorand University
E-mail: gombasg@inf.elte.hu                        Hungary