No Such Object error

I am trying to setup LDAP on Redhat 6.2 Linux using the standard installed openldap 1.2.9 (i think that is right I will check later, correct me if i am wrong).
I start slapd and then do the search just like in the readme
ldapsearch -b 'dc=bcmpweb, dc=com' -s base '(objectclass=*)' namingContexts
and get the error 'No Such Object'
I searched the mailing lists and tried everything I could find but still got the same error.
One said try adding the base dn to the database. so I did and it came back with the same error.