Re: AW: Replication between different Versions of server

ah ok... so there is a reason.

what reason is there for the ldap library to bind anonymously when
following refferals. I bound to the original server with a valid dn
for a reason, because i might want to change something.

the original server reffers me because it knows it can't handle a

so why not use the original bind dn when binding to the reffered

doing otherwise makes working with an ldap cluster slightly

thanks and regards,

Paul Jakma.

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:

> Paul Jakma wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 May 2001, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
> >
> > > modification. The only missing functionality would be the referral return
> > > on write attempt.
> >
> > how do you get the refferal on write to work? it will not work for
> > me -> clients that try to write to the slave are reffered to the
> > master alright, but they always get "insufficient access". same
> > client on same entry, same acl being applied but talking to the
> > master LDAP server (hence with correct bind dn) can modify the entry.
> By default, when automatically following referrals, LDAP performs
> an anonymous bind. To change this behaviour, if you're coding the
> client you must perform an explicit rebind, see ldap_set_rebind_proc(3).
> Otherwise, you should disable the automatical referral chasing, and
> reissue the write operation to the new target. This is what I got.
> You should check some rfc on the subject, though, for more detailed
> explanations.
> Pierangelo.
> --
> Dr. Pierangelo Masarati    mailto:ando@sys-net.it
> Developer, SysNet s.n.c.   http://www.sys-net.it

Paul Jakma	paul@clubi.ie	paul@jakma.org
PGP5 key: http://www.clubi.ie/jakma/publickey.txt
At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will find
at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.