Looking for an application with an example directory.

I'm having a problem utilizing ldap.  I feel as though I need an application
such as a contact data base - customer directory or what ever with a working
example database that I can load and learn from through hands on interaction
and manipulation.  I'm just not able to take this from concept to application.

Does anyone know of something like this or have a suggestion based on some-
thing you have done to get hands-on experience while starting from zero.

Thanks,

ed