Title: RE: LDAP

One thing I did to get started was to hack up a copy of the test scripts that the system uses to test the installs.  There's one in there that populates a database with a bunch of UofM data.  I just changed the script so it didn't shut down the server at the end of the test - simple.  I could then play around with the query tools to my hearts content.  I agree this isn't the easiest piece of software to get started with and most of the docs I've read aren't that detailed.

Hope that helps.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich West [mailto:Rich.West@divatv.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 1:27 PM
To: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: LDAP

This is going to sound kind of lame, but, alas, I am at my wit's end.
Before I get flamed beyond belief, let me state that I (1) have attacked
the HowTo's, (2) combed through the archives, and (3) hunted across the
web.  All, to no avail.

I am simply trying to evaluate the possibility of using LDAP as a
centralized password management database for UNIX (solaris/linux) and
NT.  I can't even get the darned v2.0.7 software to CREATE a database
without it cryptically telling me that I must be insane.

Unfortunately, the How-To's and Quick Start guide were written from the
prospective of someone who knows the innards of LDAP, and, hence, tend
to gloss over the key aspects.  *sigh*  What I would do for a good
functioning sample slapd.conf file...

Anyhow, it's compiled.. it is running.  But, either off line or on line,
I cannot get it to create a database.

The embarassing part is that I feel as if I have missed something along
the lines here.. something crucial.  really, it can't be this hard?
I've been plugging away at it, off an on, for over two weeks with no

I even went so far as to (1) use, unedited, the default slapd.conf file,
and (2) create an LDIF file using the sample from the quickstart:
openldap-2.0.7/libexec#> more /tmp/newentry
dn: dc=my-domain, dc=com
odjectClass: organization
dc: my-domain

dn: cn=Postmaster, dc=my-domain, dc=com
objectClass: organizationalRole
cn: Postmaster

openldap-2.0.7/libexec#> ldapadd -f /tmp/newentry -D "cn=Manager,
dc=my-domain, dc=com" -w secret
adding new entry "dc=my-domain, dc=com"
ldap_add: Undefined attribute type
        additional info: attribute type undefined

ldif_record() = 17

Anyone have any ideas?  Is there another quickstart guide out there that
was written without the experienced LDAP user in mind?

At this point, I don't know where to turn, so I apologize in advance if
my questions on how to proceed sound rather basic...

Richard West                            mailto:richard.west@divatv.com
Sr. Systems Administrator
Diva - Princeton, NJ                    http://www.divatv.com