Crypted Manager passwd?

I'm trying to get a "no-text-passwords" implementation of slapd going.  Un-
fortunately I'm running into problems.

My slapd.conf looks (in part) like this:

suffix "o=foo.com"
rootdn "cn=Manager"
rootpw {crypt}YeahRight.

I do have sasl installed & enabled, as near as I can tell.  I can do the
example first query given in the QuickStart guide.

Once I try to bind as the Manager, though . . .

ldapsearch -b '' -s base -D "cn=Manager" '(objectclass=*)' namingContexts
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: No such attribute

I'm confused as to what options I should be using, or whether SASL auth.
is even possible for the Manager, though the comments in slapd.conf seem
to imply this.

Any help much appreciated--I am subscribed to the list, so no need to Cc:
me.

--JB

P.S. Followup:  it works ok with -x; this appears to be purely a sasl problem.