RE: Anybody home?

You're looking for messages about filtering and indexing.
In particular, you should see messages about filter candidates.
This is the number of entries whose index matches the filter
element they're indexed for (in this case, whose objectclass
matches posixGroup).  If you get zero candidates, that means
it didn't find any entries with that objectclass in the
index.  Your next step would be to take Daniel's advice and
be _absolutely certain_ that there are no trailing blanks or
other characters that could be throwing off your search. Add
a new test entry that you're sure has the correct objectclass
and try the search again.  Feel free to include at least some
of the logging output.