Problem linking other applications to openldap

I just tried to compile Proftpd-1.2RC3 against OpenLDAP-2.0.7. I get
the errors:
/usr/local/lib/openldap.so: undefined reference to `res_query'
/usr/local/lib/openldap.so: undefined reference to `dn_expand'

Can anyone tell me what could be the possible causes of error?
A miscompiled library? Some option forgotten? Others?

Devdas Bhagat
--
"Consider a spherical bear, in simple harmonic motion..."
		-- Professor in the UCB physics department