Confused about threads

All

I'm confused about threads.  I have a thread library but I'm trying to
build a single threaded 2.0.7 slapd.  My configure command is:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --libdir=/usr/local/lib \
        --includedir=/usr/local/include \
        --without-threads --with-ldbm-api=gdbm --with-ldbm-type=hash

I wrote a program that binds, does an asynchronous search, sleeps for 5
seconds, then does an ldap_first_entry, ldap_next_entry loop to read the
results and finally unbind.  I reasoned that if the server were single
threaded and I started two of these programs, the second would have to
wait until the first completed before connecting, etc.

It doesn't appear to work that way.  Both programs seem to run at the
same time (closer to 5+ seconds rather than 10+ seconds).  So ... did I
get threads in my slapd anyway or is my experiment incorrect?

--
Jim Malcolm
Room 2A19