enable-perl problems

If I compile with --enable-perl, I get an error saying :Parse Error
before Ava (on line 36) in external.h (with references from perl_back.h
and init.c).

I check the source, and could see nothing obviously wrong. So could
anyone please tell me where the error is ?

(BTW, I used SASL rpms from Connectiva Linux to bypass my previous
problem, but replies to the previous question will still be appreciated)

TIA
Devdas Bhagat
--
For if there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in
despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the