SASL and encrypted connection?

Hi,

I compiled OpenLDAP 2.0.7 with SASL and OpenSSL but without Kerberos support
and after some troubles I got the whole beast running (the documentation is
somehow sparse)... I haven't configured any SSL certificates yet.

I managed LDAP searches with simple and SASL (Digest MD5) authentication and
everything seems to work as expected. However whatching the communication
with a network sniffer, the whole communication during and after the simple
bind is clear text (as expected) and the whole communitcation with the
SASL-bind semms to be encrypted or obscured. I expected an encryped bind
commuitcation but what is happening with the search request itself. Is this
behaviour configurable?

Yours,

Stephan

--
Stephan Siano                           Mail:  Stephan.Siano@suse.de
SuSE Linux Solutions AG                 Phone: 06196 50951 31