back-ldap

I was wondering if the LDAP backend for slapd could be used to get the
data down one branch of a tree from another branch on the same server
(or even another server). I'd like to be able to have the same data
sorted into two different tree structures. I.E. have the REAL data under
"ou=Engineering,l=California,ou=People,dc=mvista,dc=com" and have
"l=California,ou=Engineering,ou=People,dc=mvista,dc=com" use the
LDAP backend such that the server would look the information up under
the other branch and return it as if it was under the second branch. If
this could work, how would it? What would I configure and set up? If
there is some other way of doing this, tell me. Thanks.