Re: Apologies in Advance

I have no clue what type of responses the original post was
meant to solicit, however, as it seems to have solicited yet
another OpenLDAP v. X product post, I will make a few comments
(and then I let this discussion die).

In comparing features vs cost, one must take into account
the total cost of use.  In general, sticker price of software is
a small fraction of the total cost of use.

Commercial servers are in general robust, reliable, feature
rich, and well documented.  OpenLDAP is making gains in these areas,
but I would the first to admit that we have much more work to do.
(I do note that we do have some features which are not yet widely
available in commercial servers).

OpenLDAP can be a viable solution for many, but it's certainly not
for everyone.

As with making any software choice, make it yourself.  My recommendation
is for you to acquire your own operational experience by experimenting
with different implementations before making your choice.

One general feature of LDAP is that you *should* be able to interchange
one server implementation for another without significant costs.  I
hence caution against taking advantage of any proprietary features
in your deployment as you'll hinder your ability to switch implementations
later on.

Kurt