Problems ./configure'ing

Hello, I'm trying to compile OpenLDAP, and I've run into a few problems.

(*admits relative linux-newbiness*)

I want to use Berkeley DB 3.1.17, and I've built and installed it
seemingly successfully. The library is at /lib/libdb.so.3 and
/usr/lib/libdb3.so . The header file is in /usr/include/db.h .

Nonetheless, when I run the OpenLDAP configure script, I get the following
errors:

checking for db.h... yes
checking for Berkeley DB link (default)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb3)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb2)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb1)... no
..
..
..
checking for db... no
configure: warning: could not find suitable LDBM backend
configure: error: select appropriate LDBM options or disable

Can someone help me with this?

- Erik