missing root?

Hi,

I'm trying to create an LDAP database using an exported LDIF file. Each time I attempt to do an ldapadd, I get the response No such object. I ran slapd with debug mode 255 and saw that it was missing the parent. I followed the entry in the FAQ to create a dn for the parent but it gives me the following error:

dn2entry_r: dn: ""
=> dn2id( "" )
=> ldbm_cache_open( "/usr/local/var/openldap-ldbm/dn2id.dbb", 7, 600 )
<= ldbm_cache_open (cache 0)
<= dn2id NOID
parent does not exist

Does this mean that there is no root to the entire directory? How do I overcome this? This is a fresh install, so I am simply trying to add some initial values.

Thanks for your help.
Speef