OpenLDAP 2.07 + UnixODBC

I can't seem to get OpenLDAP and unixODBC to cooperate on a virgin RedHat6.2
machine I'm testing on.  I'm hoping somebody has been through this and can
provide me with some insight.  Apparently I'm missing something somewhere.
Here is what I have done so far:

1. virgin RH 6.2 install
2. install unixodbc driver manager tarball (configure, make, make install --
nothing special)
3. install inline TDS driver in /usr/local/lib
4. configure odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini in /etc
5. test (with success) unixodbc install using isql utility to connect to my
MS sql server
6. unzip/tar openldap tarball
7. search/replace occurrences of -liodbc with -lodbc in configure
8. configure, make depend, make, make test

make test fails with the following:

cd tests; make test
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/openldap-2.0.7/tests'
Initiating LDAP tests for LDBM...
running defines.sh . ldbm
Datadir is ./data
Cleaning up in ./test-db...
Starting slapd on TCP/IP port 9009...
Using ldapsearch to retrieve all the entries...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
kill: (25742) - No such pid
ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server
make[1]: *** [test-ldbm] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/openldap-2.0.7/tests'
make: *** [test] Error 2

If I continue on anyways and do

9. make install
10. copy slapd.conf from source/servers/slapd/back-sql/rdms_depend/mssql/ to
/usr/local/etc/openldap/
11. edit slapd.conf to get default schemas from
/usr/local/etc/openldap/schema
12. edit slapd.conf to use correct user/password/server/database on my MS
sql server
13. /usr/local/libexec/slapd -d 5

I get this:

./slapd: error in loading shared libraries: libodbc.so.1: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

If anyone has been through this or knows what my problem may be, I'd
appreciate your response.  Thanks.

Sean Johnson
IT Manager
PinnacleOne