1024 fd limit ?

Hello.

I've a problem which is not directly OPENLDAP related, but I don't know
how to fix this properly.

We have 3 openLdap Servers : One master, 2 slaves. (all under linux
2.2, openldap 2.0.7, NOT THREADED (cause we had strange crash with
threads))

And a bunch (several hundred) of clients doing authentification & nss
against the 2 slaves (using libnss-ldap)

the problem we have is that our 2 slaves hit more or less often the
1024 open file descriptor limit. (we were quite suprised that any
client process use a distinctive socket to the LDAP server)

I understand that the 1024 fd limit per process
is probably due to the underlying OS/library
(in this case, linux with glibc 2.1)

- And in case of threaded openldap, the 1024 limit remain the same...

Is there a sane way to solve this ???

I tried to raise NR_OPEN in /usr/include/linux/limits.h and recompile,
but it doesn't seems to make things better...
And I'm not sure it's the right thing to do...

(BTW the system-wide fd limit is very much higher)

Any Ideas /experience there ?

Yann Dupont.
\|/ ____ \|/ Fac. des sciences de Nantes-Linux-Python-IPv6-ATM-BONOM....
"@'/ ,. \@"  Tel :(+33)[0]251125865(AM)[0]251125857(PM)[0]251125868(Fax)