LDAP Authentication

I have a strange behavoiur in both OpenLDAP 1.2.11 and 2.0.6: when I
try to authenticate a user with "ldapadd" or trought a PHP / JSP page,
the user is authenticated even if it leave a blank password.

It seems to be an half working auth, since the user achieve only READ
permission, but of course this is not a wanted feature.

Some one is suggesting that this can be a compilation problem, I'm
worried that there is also something I don't know about LDAP.

Can some point me in the right direction?

   Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu http://www.rlyeh.it/ wgah'nagl fhtgan!