Can't reach LDAP server on alternate port?

Sorry, this might be just a system donfig problem, but I thought I'd ask here.
From the host "ziggy" (running OpenLDAP 2.0 on port 9009) , I can
$ telnet localhost 9009
Connected to localhost.localdomain.
but cannot
$ telnet ziggy 9009
The same thing works fine on port 389.  Please educate me, Thanks.
Steve Collins
APEX Voice Communications
Phone: 1-818-379-8400
Fax:     1-818-379-8410
The trouble about arguments is, they ain't nothing but theories, after all, and theories don't prove nothing, they only give you a place to rest on a spell when you are tuckered out butting around and around trying to find out something there ain't no way to find out. -- Mark Twain