Troubles with binary attributes

    I'm (still) migrating from 1.2 to 2.x.  Today's problem concerns binary attributes. I am trying to add binary data from LDIF (from the 1.x directory)
binattr:: CICAgAiACAiAgAiACAiACAiACICACAgIg.......
I redefined this attribute like so:
attributeType  ( NAME 'binattr'
But when I try to add it:
ldap_add ......
dn: ......
binattr:: CICAgAiACAiAgAiACAiACAiACICACAgIg.......
I get the following:
ldap_modify: Undefined attribute type
        additional info: attribute requires ;binary transfer
First, does the  ;binary means I must specify a file (cannot use the LDIF output from 1.2) ?
Second, the attribute type is defined for this operation, so I guess the "Undefined attribute type" message is misleading, right?
Third, must I modify my client code to use "binattr;binary"?
Thanks in advance
Steve Collins
APEX Voice Communications
Phone: 1-818-379-8400
Fax:     1-818-379-8410
The trouble about arguments is, they ain't nothing but theories, after all, and theories don't prove nothing, they only give you a place to rest on a spell when you are tuckered out butting around and around trying to find out something there ain't no way to find out. -- Mark Twain