Problem doing BIND with uid

I'm trying to do this (prompted for password):

poplar# ldapsearch -D 'uid=mstella,ou=People,dc=myseasons,dc=com'\
  -b 'ou=people,dc=myseasons,dc=com' 'uid=mstauffe'
Bind Password:
LDAP Server is V2: execute command with LDAP V2...
ldap_simple_bind_s: Invalid credentials

But when I do this:

poplar# ldapsearch -D 'cn=michael k stella,ou=People,dc=myseasons,dc=com'\
  -b 'ou=people,dc=myseasons,dc=com' 'uid=mstauffe'

the command works perfectly.  Why is this?  I am using a web-based password
changer thing written in perl, and I'd prefer to use the uid fields rather than
the users' full names.  I am missing something, and I suspect it's *very*
simple.  Apologies if this has been discussed before, I could not find anything
useful in the archives.

I can provide slapd.conf or ldap.conf if need be.

--
Michael Stella				      mySEASONS.com
Sr. Unix Administrator			http://www.myseasons.com