Re: what is simple bind?

At 08:06 AM 10/31/00 -0800, Hans Zauner wrote:
>I had some troubles getting ldapadd to authenticate
>with slapd (Im using SASL/TSL) and I posted to this
>list.  I was told to use -x for simple bind (which
>worked) however I am curious.
>
>What is simple bind?

Simple bind refers to the DN/password authentication
mechanism supported by both LDAPv2 and LDAPv3.  This
mechanism offers integrity or confidentiality protection.

>I've read the FAQ and I used the ldapadd command
>syntax as described there, (which didn't work) however
>it did not mention -x (simple bind) at all.

The FAQ details OpenLDAP 1.2 which doesn't require the -x.
OpenLDAP 2.0 requires -x to avoid the defaulting to SASL
based authentication and security services.