Re: No such attribute using SASL

At 10:18 AM 9/14/00 -0400, Joseph A. Martin wrote:
>I have OpenLDAP 2.0.1 installed and running now. I also have the Cyrus
>SASL libraries installed. I have some dummy entries in the database
>and when I run `ldapsearch -x` they are printed out. When I run a
>simple `ldapsearch` I receive the following message:
>
>ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: No such attribute

This implies that supportedSASLMechanisms attribute is not available
in the Root DSE.  You should be able to use
        ldapsearch -x -b "" -s base supportedSASLMechanisms

to see what is (or isn't) listed.

>It appears that I need some SASL related entries. Is this true?

No. The above operational attribute will automatically be provided.
It will list the mechanisms available to the client.  You may
have no available mechanisms (depending upon your configuration).

>What
>are they? Where do I put them? I have looked for some documentation
>related to OpenLDAP and SASL strong authentication, but I have been
>unsuccessful to date. Can anyone point me to some good documentation?

Hasn't been written yet.  I posted a note a few days ago describing
how to use SASL...  basically:
  1) first get Cyrus SASL sample server/client working
  (using the service "ldap") as detailed in Cyrus SASL docs.
  2) start slapd
  3) try clients using same authentication information
  you used in step 1.