RE: Synchronizing a NT4 PDC with OpenLDAP

We at Symas have developed a dynamically loaded module for slapd that
integrates
an NT PDC with a parent LDAP hierarchy. No separate synchronization step is
required because the NT information just appears under its own branch of the
LDAP directory. The code was developed against an earlier OpenLDAP 2.x beta,
and still needs to be brought forward to be compatible with the released
2.0.
The code is proprietary to Symas, but you can download a free demo at
www.symas.com.

The NT module is actually just a part of a grander distributed sysadmin
system,
called "Connexitor". The currently available modules will manage
accounts/authentication/authorization databases for NT, AIX 4, Solaris,
Linux, Oracle 8, Apache, RADIUS, and Sendmail 8, with various other modules
in development. There is also an automation superstructure that allows all
of the known accounts to be collated into higher-level "user" objects. Using
LDAP to manipulate these user objects, passwords can be set/reset on a
per-account basis, or all accounts owned by a user can be synchronized at
once, etc. Administration privileges are ACL-based and can be securely
delegated to other LDAP entities (not just users). The backing store also
supports our single-signon client (a natural extension of an integrated
authorization database), which can not only manage account information for
the above listed platforms, but also securely manages login information for
standalone Windows apps and arbitrary web services. (See mysso.com for more
on this.)

In general, excluding the case of straightforward replica management, you'll
find
that synchronization between multiple directories is basically a nightmare.
Our
modules serve as gateways between LDAP and the native APIs to access the
native
data live, in realtime. (Take back-passwd as an example, then expand it to
full-blown
ACL-protected read-write manipulation of /etc/group, /etc/shadow, etc....)
The management database structure uses libldbm for file storage but unlike
back-ldbm
it is a true hierarchy, and manages referential integrity automatically. See
our
web site or feel free to email me for more information.

Most of the groundwork we did in developing Connexitor has been contributed
back
to the OpenLDAP project. This includes the port of OpenLDAP to NT/MingW32,
integrating
libtool/libltdl dynamic loading support into slapd, the back-ldap backend
for
integrating remote LDAP servers into a local hierarchy, SSL/TLS work, and
various
and sundry debugging. I have been an active participant in Open Source
projects of
one form or another for the past 15 years, and I am proud to say that Symas
is
dedicated to the Open Source philosophy as well. Everything we've learned
about
developing and using directories comes back to enhance OpenLDAP's
functionality and
stability.

Sorry for the length of this reply, it got a little preachy in there but I
hope the
main point was not lost - there are viable solutions to your question.

  -- Howard Chu