Re: reg:Ldap searching failure

At 07:17 PM 8/23/00 +0530, Yuva Raju wrote:
>   I installed the openldap software.After that i runned the slapd
>  >>>
>: su root -c /usr/local/libexec/slapd
>  ldapsearch -x -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)' namingContexts
>I got prompt symbol  >

That's likely a shell prompt indicating the shell is expecting
additional input.

I am not sure where the >>> or : comes from.  Likely you are
doing some cut/paste between the guide the and your terminal
and grabbing too much.  Both > and : may be special characters
to your shell, so be careful.  In particular, a leading :
indicates a comment to many shells.

> I did not get any output.
> According quick-start quide , i have to get output like this
> namingContexts:  dc=example, dc=com.
>my slapd.conf contains following:
>          database ldbm
>          suffix "dc=eng, dc=uni, dc=edu, dc=eu"
>          rootdn "cn=Manager, dc=eng, dc=uni, dc=edu, dc=eu"
>          rootpw secret
>          directory /usr/local/var/openldap-ldbm
>I am not getting what is wrong. Please inform how to rectify the

What are you getting?
Is slapd running?  (use ps or equiv)
Is slapd listening? (use netstat, sockstat, or equiv)

Please provide details to help us help you.