Re: reg:Ldap searching failure

At 07:17 PM 8/23/00 +0530, Yuva Raju wrote:
>Hi,
>
>   I installed the openldap software.After that i runned the slapd
>
>  >>>
>: su root -c /usr/local/libexec/slapd
>  ldapsearch -x -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)' namingContexts
>
>I got prompt symbol  >

That's likely a shell prompt indicating the shell is expecting
additional input.

I am not sure where the >>> or : comes from.  Likely you are
doing some cut/paste between the guide the and your terminal
and grabbing too much.  Both > and : may be special characters
to your shell, so be careful.  In particular, a leading :
indicates a comment to many shells.

> I did not get any output.
> According quick-start quide , i have to get output like this
>dn:
> namingContexts:  dc=example, dc=com.
>
>my slapd.conf contains following:
>          database ldbm
>          suffix "dc=eng, dc=uni, dc=edu, dc=eu"
>          rootdn "cn=Manager, dc=eng, dc=uni, dc=edu, dc=eu"
>          rootpw secret
>          directory /usr/local/var/openldap-ldbm
>

>I am not getting what is wrong. Please inform how to rectify the
>problem.

What are you getting?
Is slapd running?  (use ps or equiv)
Is slapd listening? (use netstat, sockstat, or equiv)

Please provide details to help us help you.

Kurt