Re: nscd throttling when high ldap use occurs

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Cliff Friedel wrote:

> Hi all.  I realize that this isn't really an LDAP problem, but I am
> wondering if anyone has seen this.  First a little background, we have
> integrated LDAP into our SuSE Linux 6.4 machines to handle lookups for
> username and password lookups for our clients.  What we are seeing is nscd
> throttling and causing all network connections to hang on our
> machine.  This seems to happen when we take a large amount of ldap
> requests on our machine (due to mail requests and deliveries, logins,
> etc).  My questions are:  How much of a performance hit on lookups can we
> expect if we turn off nscd and if we do not turn off nscd, what would be
> recommended changes in nscd.conf.  We have already considered extending
> the cache time, but I am thinking that this may cause problems if people
> change their passwords.

The nscd configuration file has a check-files directive that invalidates
all entries if the file is changed. Unfortunately this cannot be applied
to LDAP.

Anyway, I'm using nscd and the fisrt time (one year ago) I went into the
same problem.

Now nscd works here is what I have:

Kernel 2.2.16
glibc-2.1.1-6