OpenLDAP on Solaris 7

Solaris 7 (sparc)

OpenLDAP 1.2.11
Berkeley DB (sleepy cat software) 2.7.7
gcc 2.8.1

Configured with this command in the bash (2.03.0(1)-release) (compatiable
with bourne shell)

env \
ac_cv_func_pthread_create=no ol_cv_kthread_flag=no \
ol_cv_pthread_flag=no ol_cv_pthreads_flag=no \
ol_cv_thread_flag=no \
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB/include" \
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB/lib" \
./configure \
--with-ldbm-api=db2 #\
#--enable-wrappers

tcpd.h was in /usr/include and it did find it, but it gave an error on make
about not being able to find -lwrap, so I left tcp wrapper support out for
now. Without --enabled-wrappers, this configure command, make depend, make,
make install all went without problems.

This is the '/usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf' file:

include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.at.conf
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.oc.conf
schemacheck     off
#referral       ldap://root.openldap.org/

pidfile         /usr/local/var/slapd.pid
argsfile        /usr/local/var/slapd.args

database        ldbm
suffix          "dc=test, dc=com"
suffix          "o=Testing Co, c=US"
rootdn          "cn=Manager, dc=test, dc=com"
rootdn          "cn=Manager, o=Testing Co, c=US"

rootpw          secret

directory       /usr/local/var/openldap-ldbm

end of '/usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf' file

For 'test' I have a real domain, just didn't want the entire world gourping
my directory server, and "Testing Co" is a real company name, but don't want
everyone gourping the 1-800 #

Then I started the server

`/usr/local/libexec/slapd -f /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf -d1`

and to this point everything looks ok, then I try and add something (I am
taking this from the quick start guide) with the command:

`/usr/local/bin/ldapadd -D "cn=Manager, dc=test, dc=com" -W <
ldif/test.ldif`

Enter LDAP Password: *******
ldapadd: no attributes to change or add (entry dc=<test>, dc=<COM>
dc: <test>   o: <Testing Co>   objectclass: organization   objectclass:
dcObject
dn: cn=Manager, dc=<test>, dc=<COM>   cn: Manager   sn: Manager
objectclass: person)

The output from the slapd in debug mode shows up as:

slapd 1.2.11-Release (Wed Jul 26 13:26:41 CDT 2000)
        user@matrix:/usr/export/home/user/ldap/openldap-1.2.11/servers/slapd
slapd starting
do_bind
do_bind: version 2 dn (cn=Manager, dc=test, dc=com) method 128
dn2entry_r: dn: "CN=MANAGER,DC=TEST,DC=COM"
=> dn2id( "CN=MANAGER,DC=TEST,DC=COM" )
=> ldbm_cache_open( "/usr/local/var/openldap-ldbm/dn2id.dbb", 7, 600 )
<= ldbm_cache_open (opened 0)
<= dn2id NOID
dn2entry_r: dn: "DC=TEST,DC=COM"
=> dn2id( "DC=TEST,DC=COM" )
=> ldbm_cache_open( "/usr/local/var/openldap-ldbm/dn2id.dbb", 7, 600 )
<= ldbm_cache_open (cache 0)
<= dn2id NOID
send_ldap_result 0::
do_unbind

I don't know what this means, but it looks wrong.  I am not sure what to do
here, so I just follow the quick start guide and try and search with the
command:

`/usr/local/bin/ldapsearch -L -b "dc=test, dc=com" -W "(objectclass=*)"`

Enter LDAP Password: *******
ldap_search: No such object

opps! yep something went bad a couple steps ago

The server is output this when the command was executed:

do_bind
do_bind: version 2 dn () method 128
send_ldap_result 0::
do_search
using base "DC=TEST,DC=COM"
subtree_candidates: base: "DC=TEST,DC=COM" lookupbase
dn2entry_r: dn: "DC=TEST,DC=COM"
=> dn2id( "DC=TEST,DC=COM" )
=> ldbm_cache_open( "/usr/local/var/openldap-ldbm/dn2id.dbb", 7, 600 )
<= ldbm_cache_open (opened 0)
<= dn2id NOID
send_ldap_result 32::
do_unbind

I am not sure what is going on here, but I did something to really make this
thing freak out.  I got a GUI LDAP java client and it connections to the
slapd file, but the problem (IMHO) is that it can't find the "root node", do
I have to manually create that?

I read about every page on the openldap.org site and some of the ldap howto
(for Linux), is there an OpenLDAP newsgroup?  Anyone know of some good docs
that explain the basic concept of LDAP?

(yes I am a total newbie to directory services, LDAP and OpenLDAP)

Anyone seen this before, any ideas?

Thanks,
Jack

Humor or Insanity?