Re: OpenLDAP on Solaris 7

user@matrix:/usr/export/home/user/ldap/openldap-1.2.11/servers/slapd
> slapd starting
> do_bind
> do_bind: version 2 dn (cn=Manager, dc=test, dc=com) method 128
> dn2entry_r: dn: "CN=MANAGER,DC=TEST,DC=COM"
> => dn2id( "CN=MANAGER,DC=TEST,DC=COM" )
> => ldbm_cache_open( "/usr/local/var/openldap-ldbm/dn2id.dbb", 7, 600 )
> <= ldbm_cache_open (opened 0)
> <= dn2id NOID
> dn2entry_r: dn: "DC=TEST,DC=COM"
> => dn2id( "DC=TEST,DC=COM" )
> => ldbm_cache_open( "/usr/local/var/openldap-ldbm/dn2id.dbb", 7, 600 )
> <= ldbm_cache_open (cache 0)
> <= dn2id NOID
> send_ldap_result 0::
> do_unbind
>
> I don't know what this means, but it looks wrong.  I am not sure what to
do
> here, so I just follow the quick start guide and try and search with the
> command:
>
> `/usr/local/bin/ldapsearch -L -b "dc=test, dc=com" -W "(objectclass=*)"`
>
> Enter LDAP Password: *******
> ldap_search: No such object
>
> opps! yep something went bad a couple steps ago
>
> The server is output this when the command was executed:
>
> do_bind
> do_bind: version 2 dn () method 128
> send_ldap_result 0::
> do_search
> using base "DC=TEST,DC=COM"
> subtree_candidates: base: "DC=TEST,DC=COM" lookupbase
> dn2entry_r: dn: "DC=TEST,DC=COM"
> => dn2id( "DC=TEST,DC=COM" )
> => ldbm_cache_open( "/usr/local/var/openldap-ldbm/dn2id.dbb", 7, 600 )
> <= ldbm_cache_open (opened 0)
> <= dn2id NOID
> send_ldap_result 32::
> do_unbind
>
> I am not sure what is going on here, but I did something to really make
this
> thing freak out.  I got a GUI LDAP java client and it connections to the
> slapd file, but the problem (IMHO) is that it can't find the "root node",
do
> I have to manually create that?
>
> I read about every page on the openldap.org site and some of the ldap
howto
> (for Linux), is there an OpenLDAP newsgroup?  Anyone know of some good
docs
> that explain the basic concept of LDAP?
>
> (yes I am a total newbie to directory services, LDAP and OpenLDAP)
>
> Anyone seen this before, any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Jack
>
> Humor or Insanity?
> http://www.geekweb.org

I finally got this firgured out.  The problem was, when I was adding the
"Manager" entry, I didn't put in a password (DOH!) and it denied writing the
entry to it, so when I tried searching or connecting it was giving the
"object not found" error message.  So simply and it _only_ took 16+ hours to
firgure out.  Ok you can kick me in the head now.

Jack

Humor or Insanity?
http://www.geekweb.org