compile tests error

I just downloaded 1.2.11 and am in the process of compiling and what not.
Everything went fine up until I tried to make the tests.  That failed with
this error:

[Vinnie /usr/local/src/openldap-1.2.11/tests]#> make
ln: ./data: cannot overwrite directory
make: [all-local] Error 1 (ignored)
Initiating LDAP tests...
running defines.sh . ldbm
Datadir is ./data
Cleaning up in ./test-db...
Running ldif2ldbm to build slapd database...
ldif2ldbm failed!
make: *** [all-local] Error 1

Any idea what went wrong?  I'm trying to learn about LDAP so I can get
authentication for my Linux boxes centralized.  This machine is a LinuxPPC
2k machine.  Everything is fairly up-to-date with the exception of the
kernel which is 2.2.15pre3 (that will be changed in a few weeks).

Thanks
 Justin