Re: No Such Object

Hi,
   In order to add an entry like
   cn=Manager, dc=ldis, dc=com you need to have
entries with dn: dc=com and dc=ldis,dc=com.If you have
these two entries, then it should not be a problem to
add your cn=Manager, dc=ldis, dc=com entry. Try
checking the above things.

Prashanth

--- Jonathan Donald <jonathan@ldis.com> wrote: > Mr
Greenhorn here is trying to get an OpenLDAP
> (slapd) to work.
>
> Following the example in the Quick Start, I primed
> the directory
> database with a file that looks like:
>

>            dn: dc=ldis, dc=com
>            dc: ldis
>            o: LDIS
>            objectclass: organization
>            objectclass: dcObject
>
>            dn: cn=Manager, dc=ldis, dc=com
>            cn: Manager
>            sn: Manager
>            objectclass: person
>
> When I try to do a lookup using Netscape
> Communicator, I get the
> following error:
>
>    Failed to search 'OpenLDAP Test Installation' due
> to LDAP error 'No
> such object (0x20)
>
> Then I attempt to load an ldif file (exported from
> my Netscape address
> book):
>
>    %ldapadd -D "cn=Manager, dc=ldis, dc=com" -W <
> addressbook.ldif
>    adding new entry cn=Smith, John,mail=joe@ldis.com
>    Enter password:
>    ldap_add: No such object
>
> Seems pretty clear that my directory is missing
> something very important
> (a root node?),
> but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this.
>
> Any suggestions or hints would be most welcome.>
begin:vcard