Ldap Data Replication problem

Hi,
    I am trying to replicate an LDAP database.I have a
master and a slave slapd running on two different
servers. I have a slurpd running on the server on
which master slapd is running. So when I make a client
request to update the database to the master slapd,
thedatabase gets updated in the master as well as the
slave. But when I make a request to the slave slapd,
there is no way that it can refer to the master and
update the master's database. Actually I tried giving
the referral as the ip address of master. But it seems
not to be working. Is there anything else to be done
so that when the request comes for slave, it is
immediately redirected to the master.

Thanks in Advance
Prashanth